I have discovered that there are quite a few websites related to Oak Island, some of which have very good information, and many of which are dormant. The websites listed below contain the most valuable and reliable information. Much of the initial (un-credited) information used in this wiki came from these sites so that I could build the basic structure for others to follow. I will systematically work through all the information and search out the references. Please continue to visit these sites and credit the original author where applicable.
Oak Island Tours is the official website for the team presently working on oak island. This site has very good information logically presented, but much of it appears to be a work in progress.
Oak Island Compendium & the blockhouse blog contain some of the best archival data on Oak Island. Doug Crowell (who many recognize from the TV show) is a major contributor to the site. I personally received Doug's blessing to use information from his sites on this wiki site in the interest of sharing information.
Like many of the other sites, this appears to have a good structure and the intention of good information. The information posted on this site is well documented and cited making it easy to validate. It doesn't appear that the information has been updated since 2015 so it's not a great source of current information, but clearly lots of effort was put into gathering good archival info.
For those that follow the TV show, you'll notice that lot 5 is rarely talked about. You can read more details on why this is in this article Oak Island Lot Five. In the interest of information sharing and neutrality I cannot take a stance on the feud, but the information and artifacts presented on this site are quite exhaustive. It would be nice if the years of conflict could be resolved and open sharing of information between the two parties- but again, not my place to get involved.
Oak Island Mystery has to have one of the most comprehensive library of historical documents and drawings regarding Oak Island. Many original letters from treasure hunters, phone transcripts and good factual information. OakIslandWiki site owner has obtained permission from Oak Island Mystery to use information found on their site as long as it is properly cited. Where possible I have included links to actual documents contained on this site. I highly encourage viewers to explore this site.
Facebook groups are a great place for anyone to comment without the burden of programming knowledge and/or referential integrity. Many of the "leads" I follow in determining what information to post and/or research further come from comments posted in one of the following facebook groups.
- Curse of Oak Island (Original)*
- Curse of Oak Island (Official)*
- From the other side of the causeway*
- The Curse of Oak Island*
- Curse of Oak Island (new) no drama*
I have not yet read all of the books available about Oak Island as much of the information in these books is available online. I do intend to read these books when I get through all the information already gathered.
|The Curse of Oak Island
Author: Randall Sullivan
|The Templar Mission
Author: Zena Halpern
|Oak Island Obsession: The Restall Story|
Author: Lee Lamb
Secret Treasure of Oak Island
Author: D'Arcy O'Connor
|Revealed, The secret of Oak Island
Author: Laverne Johnson
|Captain Kidd and his Skeleton Island|
Author: Harold T. Wilkins
|The Oak Island Mystery
Author: Reginald Harris
|The Oak Island Encyclopedia
Author: Hammerson Peters
|The Oak Island Connection|
Author: Kerrin Margiano
The Mystery of Oak Island- 200 years
Author: Mark Reynolds
Oak Island and its Lost Treasure
Author: Graham Harris
The Curse of Oak Island Like many, this TV ignited my interest in Oak island not only for the obvious search for treasure but also because of the manner in which they search and present information. Just like any other source, there are plenty of theories that have to be researched. The show brings many theories to light and of course the collective minds of all the followers.
- 1911 Aug 11 Colliers "Solving the mystery of OakIsland" Pg1, Pg2, Pg3
- 1939 Mar Popular Science Magazine
- 1939 May Popular Science Magazine
- July 1950- Male Magazine
- Jan 1957 True Magazine
- 1965 Reader's Digest
- 1992 Boy's Life
- 1863 Jan 15 YarmouthHerald
- 1863 Jan 22 YarmouthHerald
- 1863 Feb 12-YarmouthHerald
- 1863 Feb 12-YarmouthHerald (letter to editor)
- 1863 Feb 19- Yarmouth Herald
- 1863 Feb 19-YarmouthHerald (2nd copy)
- 1863 Feb 26-YarmouthHerald (letter to the editor)
- 1863 Feb 26-YarmouthHerald "Treasure Found"
- 1863 Mar 05-YarmouthHerald
- 1863 Mar12-YarmouthHerald
- 1864 Jan 2- The colonist (typed transcript)
- 1864 Jan 7- The colonist (typed transcript)
- 1866 Sep 2- New York Herald Pg 4
- 1866 Sep 2- New York Herald Pg 8
- 1871 Nov 11- Evening Star
- 1885 Jul 16- Portland Daily Press- article about Kidd's treasure on "Oak Island" off Long Island NY
- 1885 Jul 29- Portland Daily Press- another article about Kidd's treasure on "Oak Island" off Long Island NY
- 1893 Dec 29- Essex County Herald
- 1894 Jan 7- The Morning News
- 1894 Jan 17- Portland Daily Press
- 1895 Oct 27- the Sun
- 1895 Nov 13- The Advocate
- 1897 Jun 14- The Times- Claims the treasure was found and will be revealed
- 1897 Jun 18- Vermont Phoenix- Claims the treasure was found and will be revealed
- 1897 Jun 24- Wichita Daily Eagle
- 1897 Jun 27- The Salt Lake Herald
- 1897 July 5- Portland Daily
- 1897 July 7- Indianapolis Journal
- 1898 Feb 11- Witchita Eagle
- 1898 Aug 21- The Sun
- 1899 Apr 28- The Sun
- 1899 Aug 4- Virginia Enterprise
- 1909 Nov 5- Carrizozo News
- Library of Congress -Chronicling America
- Nova Scotia Libraries and archives
- Canadian News Archives
- Internet Archive
- 1861- The Oak Island Folly
- 1862- Oct16- Liverpool Transcript
- 1895- Oak Island Story
- Early History of Oak Island
- 1898 Oak Island Treasure Prospectus
- 1929- Oak Island Treasure- Charles B. Driscoll
- Read, Think, Reason is a document based on William Chappell’s work on Oak Island. It was originally classified and circulated among those who promised not to divulge it’s contents to the press. It is with thanks to http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/ forum member Joy Steele that this document is made available online.
- 1973- M.R. Chappell Manuscript
- 1996- Woods Hole Survey
- 2004 Wonnacutt Smith's Cove Survey
- Dan Henskee Documents 1997, 2008-2009